Our applications for the week-long alternative breaks over winter and spring break are extended! Please apply at https://tinyurl.com/AWOLapplication
The application process begins with the initial application that asks for basic contact information, trip preferences, and a few short answer questions. After that, each application is assigned a random number and a committee places participants on trips without knowing who they are. The participants will be notified of trip placement within a week.
- Domestic Driving: $275*
- International: $1550*
- Weekend Trips are subject to a $5 administrative fee as per USD policy.
- *These prices include the $50 administrative fee as per USD policy in addition to the travel cost.
Fundraising and need-based scholarship options are available for all trips.
Winter Break Trips:
First session winter break trips will take place December 15th, 2017 through December 22nd, 2017. Applications will open in August 2017.
- Location: New Orleans, LA
- Social Issue: Environment
- Site Leaders: Christian Pollema and Erika Clark
- Location: Detroit, MI
- Social Issue: Issues facing Veterans
- Site Leaders: Aaron Licht and Brandi Merritt
- Location: Dallas, TX
- Social Issue: Health
- Site Leaders: Hailey Purves and Lucas Crownover
- Location: Nashville, TN
- Social Issue: Urban Poverty
- Site Leaders: Hunter Burns and Josie Galles
Second session winter break trips will take place December 30th, 2017 through January 7th, 2018. Applications will open in August 2017.
- Location: Guatemala
- Social Issue: Housing
- Site Leaders: Madisyn Waage and Jamie Anderson
- Location: East St. Louis, IL
- Social Issue: Education
- Site Leaders: Jasmine Kearney and Natalie Basta
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Social Issue: Issues facing Incarcerated Persons
- Site Leaders: Raven Blahnik and Michaella Crouch
- Location: Minneapolis, MN
- Social Issue: Issues Facing Refugees
- Site Leaders: Tamee Livermont and Ashley Brage
Spring Break Trips:
Spring break trips will take place March 3rd through the 11th, 2018. Applications will open with the winter break trips in August of 2017.
- Location: Sauk Center, MN
- Social Issue: Issues facing Individuals with Disabilities
- Site Leaders: Luke Smith and Gunnar Olson
- Location: Rosebud Indian Reservation
- Social Issue: Issues facing Native Americans
- Site Leaders: Marisa Helm and Megan Feerick
- Location: Springfield, MO
- Social Issue: Community Development
- Site Leaders: Allie Logan and Claire Hoogland
Summer Break Trips:
Summer breaks take place during the month of May. Applications will open in the spring of 2018.
- Location: Appalachian Trail
- Social Issue: Conservation
- Site Leaders: Abigail Schmidt and Taylor Gustafson