Our applications for the week-long alternative breaks over winter and spring break are extended! Please apply at https://tinyurl.com/AWOLapplication
The application process begins with the initial application that asks for basic contact information, trip preferences, and a few short answer questions. After that, each application is assigned a random number and a committee places participants on trips without knowing who they are. The participants will be notified of trip placement within a week.
- Domestic Driving: $275*
- International: $1550*
- Weekend Trips are subject to a $5 administrative fee as per USD policy.
- *These prices include the $50 administrative fee as per USD policy in addition to the travel cost.
Fundraising and need-based scholarship options are available for all trips.
Winter Break Trips:
First session winter break trips will take place December 14th, 2018 through December 21st, 2018. Applications will open in August 2018.
- Location: Houston, TX
- Social Issue: Health
- Site Leaders: Megan Feerick and Claire Hoogland
- Location: Birmingham, AL
- Social Issue: Addiction
- Site Leaders: Bridger Irons and Morghan Byrnes
- Location: Indianapolis, IN
- Social Issue: Education
- Site Leaders: Jennifer Kenaston and Abby Rank
Second session winter break trips will take place December 29th, 2018 through January 6th, 2019. Applications will open in August 2018.
- Location: Nashville, TN
- Social Issue: Affordable Housing and Food Insecurity
- Site Leaders: Christian Pollema and Linze Cowman
- Location: Atlanta, GA
- Social Issue: Youth Development
- Site Leaders: Madisyn Waage and Ashley Zimmer
- Location: New Orleans, LA
- Social Issue: Environment
- Site Leaders: Morgan Osterloo and Calli Hensley
- Location: International Trip
- Social Issue: Disaster Recovery and Resiliency
- Site Leaders: Claudia Schwebach and Rachel Severson
Spring Break Trips:
Spring break trips will take place March 2nd through the 10th, 2019. Applications will open with the winter break trips in August of 2018.
- Location: Albuquerque, NM
- Social Issue: Urban Poverty
- Site Leaders: Taylor Gustafson and Jordan Smith
- Location: TBD
- Social Issue: Rural Poverty on Reservations
- Site Leaders: Amanda Gravholt and Madeleine Nelson
Summer Break Trips:
Summer breaks take place during the month of May. Applications will open in the spring of 2019.
- Location: TBD
- Social Issue: Conservation
- Site Leaders: Ashley Brage and Sophie Beers
- Locations: Chicago, IL
- Social Issue: Violence Prevention
- Site Leaders: Madison Miller and Drew Keuck